Tuesday, June 25, 2013

With a Little Help From Our Friends


How easy it is to forget our own advice.  I can’t count the number of times I have told someone that I am there for them.  I hear it said over and over from those around me: “That’s what friends are for.”  Heck, I even wrote a speech about it when I was a state FFA officer. 

But it seems no matter how many times I say it to others, I always seem to think I can get away without it.  This week I was reminded yet AGAIN, the importance of sharing your experiences with your friends.  I think I need to take a piece of that speech I wrote and put it on my forehead or something.
            “None of us have problem free lives.  That’s something we all share and if we let it, it can bring us together, instead of keeping us apart.  Admitting weakness is hard for us to do.  We think it makes us less of a person if we have to rely on others.  It makes us feel like a burden.  We don’t want someone to have to take time out of their day to solve our problem!  Sometimes we even feel that we aren’t worthy of help.  It is so subconscious we don’t even realize how ridiculous it sounds.  We are unworthy of help?  No.  Every person is worthy of help.  You are alive for a reason.  You have a mission.  A mission that cannot be carried out if you don’t believe in yourself…………The best things are accomplished by teams- whether it’s that perfectly executed football play, a beautiful symphony, or a well-run campaign; each takes a group of people relying on each other.  Life is no different- we need to rely on each other and allow them to rely on us.  Being strong isn’t burrowing in a hole all alone.  Being strong is having the courage to share yourself with those around you, to be vulnerable and accept help.”
Sometimes we have to lose our “I AM MIGHTY, HEAR ME ROAR” attitude and realize we all get by with a little help from our friends.
Thank you to all of you who share the experiences of life with me and allow me to be part of yours.  You make it richer, fuller, and filled with laughter :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment